Thursday, October 31, 2013

What should every girl (or guy) know how to cook?

I am on a mission. I want to build a collection of simple, healthy meals my family loves, and a smaller collection of classic comfort foods. I want to have go to, standard, tried and true recipes that I can one day pass on to my girls. I want them to reminisce about Mom's Lasagna or Yumazing Baked Chicken. I want to teach them to love food. I want to bond with my 12 year old over Pot Roast and Apple Pie... 

But I don't really know how to make any of it. All my kitchen skills are self taught, and lean more to the diet side of things. My mom didn't cook; I had no one to share this world with. There were no "Mom's" classics or staples on our table. I have been baking frozen pizza, loving some Kraft Mac & Cheese, and tossing salad since I was 10. 

So help me interewebz. What are the staples in your house? What do you think everyone should know how to make? Please share your tried and true recipes with me if you care to (via e-mail or comment). I look forward to hearing from you! 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love to cook and am still in the process of experimenting to find recipes that can become a staple in my home also. One great comfort meal thats easy and hard to go wrong is meatloaf. When I moved away from home this was one meal I missed. I normally use ground turkey instead though and add finely chopped carrots, onions, and celery (cilantro is great also!) Any recipe online will do to follow -you basically just add eggs and breadcrumbs or crackers to the mixture and then shape into a casserole dish. Most recipes call for ketchup but I don't always use it. Then a great side it real mashed potatoes with the skins left on and a steamed veggie :) Hope you give this a try! Another really fun meal I've been experimenting with are soups. I just loosely follow a recipe and add my own extra ingredients and it always comes out so great! ...I post recipes in my health group I added you to so check back on some or ask me about them...also I am apart of a "whats for dinner" fb group where women just post recipes they try every night- i've gotten some great ideas from there! Let me know if you want to join so you can post pics and recipes as you grow as a chef :):) good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! Since getting pregnant with #1, I have been unable to eat beef. It tastes metallicy and gross to me. I miss those yummy comfort foods like meatloaf sometimes!

      Delete