Monday, December 2, 2013

Elfie Teaches Giving!

I used to love Christmas. It was my favorite time of year. Then I became a Mom. Yes, I said it. Kids ruined Christmas for me. What was one a magical time of giving and joy became a gift grabby, stressful, EXPENSIVE, few weeks I could not wait to end. Not just my kids... all kids. My eyes were opened to how commercial and greedy this time of year has become. 

Not any more though. I am taking back the Christmas spirit! My girls are going to grow up loving December for all the magic and wonder it should have, and have an appreciation for the true reason for the season (I type this envisioning myself standing on top of a mountain, hands on hips, and Super Mom cape flying proudly in the breeze). 

*Steps off High Horse* OK, so maybe not. But I am going to make them do a little something each day to practice the art of giving. I do want them to experience what its like to make someone happy, for no other reason than because they could. 

L is 18 months. I think this is a good time to start our Elf on the Shelf tradition, but Elfie, as she named him, is a kindness elf. Instead of being here as a spy to keep the girls in line so they get more crap, he is going to be my helper in spreading holiday cheer *evil mom laugh*. Each day from the 1st to 24th he will have a special assignment for the girls to help them practice giving. It is easy to get caught up in all the me, me, me, must have attitude this time of year. I really hope this helps instill a sense of greater good and purpose. 



So here is my list, if you are looking for Elf on the Shelf ideas.... 24 random acts of kindness to get through the Holiday Season: 

1.     Take cookies to someone
2.     Collect cans and bottles for the next 2 weeks. Recycle them and donate the money.
3.     Make cards for troops over seas
4.     Take old sheets/blankets/towels to the animal shelter
5.     Donate a toy/get a toy for toys for tots
6.     Collect toiletries for the homeless
7.     Spend an hour cleaning up the beach or a park
8.     Share with a teacher or friend 10 things you appreciate about them
9.     Talk to someone that usually sits/plays alone
10.  Leave a special note/card for the mail person
11.  Help mom make hats for babies in the NICU
12.  Find a way to help someone (parent/teacher/friend) without having to be asked
13.  Make a box of treats and send it to a missionary over seas
14.  Take a meal to a homeless person
15.  Make cards/pictures and visit a nursing home
16.  Put the neighbors trash can back by their house
17.  Do a random chore to help around the house
18.  Give someone a special treat
19.  Do something to make a friend or family member smile
20.  Collect canned goods and donate them to the food pantry
21.  Gather craft supplies to take to the children’s hospital
22.  Give a child with a deployed parent one of your favorite stuffed animals
23.  Make your friends a special gift
24.  Say a special prayer for each one of your friends and family members.

Please comment with your ideas too! I will need new ones for next year :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment