Saturday, January 5, 2013

Adventures in Gardening

Aloha! Welcome to my blog.

My goal this week is to create a small organic garden to grow some herbs and veggies. I have had many gardens in the past, some more successful than others. My last attempt resulted in a rogue white watermelon vine taking over the entire patch. Yes, I had even purchased the wrong seeds, and my family was not a fan of the white variety.

So today Itty Bitty (my 8 month old) and I cleaned out an old garden patch in our front yard. Then I got on google to figure out where to start with this organic thing. Here is what I learned so far:
1) I am blessed to live in a place where most everything I want to grow is "in season" all
    year. Yay Hawaii!
2) Organic is not as scary as it sounds, and my plants are not left to fend for themselves.
    Something called Neem Oil will be my BFF
3) Good soil and compost/fertilizer are important. This will be a whole other blog.

So I have several things to accomplish this week. Forgive me for using this post as my "to-do" list... a trip to the home improvement store for good planting soil and starter plants, recruit the pre-teen to help with planting, research how to start a compost, and pray I finally do this right LOL. Look for updates this week!

1 comment:

  1. Organic gardening is Easy Angela.I have been doing it like for 30 years,before the word "organic" was barely uttered. I'm here for you!! Good Luck on your new Venture!

    ReplyDelete